CBSE announces Normalization Procedure for JEE Main 2013
The CBSE has announced the Normalization Procedure for JEE Main 2013. A notification has been put up on the CBSE website explaining the normalization procedure for the JEE Main using the marks scored by students across boards to bring all on an equal footing. The JEE Main 2013 is the first stage of the common exam for engineering and architecture where students from the various states have written a common exam.
- Identify and improve on your weak areas
- Get a personalized improvement plan & track your progress
- Get a list of probable colleges based on current preparation level
Note: Admissions to the following colleges are now open. Click on the college to apply.
Students belonging to the different boards have different parameters of marking system in Class XII. To bring them on an equal footing, the normalization procedure has been finalized.
For the current year 2013-2014:
- It has been decided to normalize 50% of the Class XII marks by equating the percentile among the various boards to anchor them to the All India JEE Main percentiles.
- The remaining 50% will be normalized by equating each board’s percentile with the JEE (Main) percentile of the respective board.
A0: will be the aggregate marks of the student in JEE Main
P: will be the percentile of each student computed on the basis of aggregate marks in his/her own Board (B0)
P will becomputed from the list of five subjects as given below (each marked out of 100).
Note: P will have to be computed among all students of the board whose subject combinations meet the JEE Main eligibility criteria
Subjects to be considered for computation of P (percentile)
- Any one of the subjects Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology and Computer Science
- One language
- Any subject other than the above four subjects
B1: will be the JEE- Main aggregate marks corresponding to percentile (P) at the All- India Level
B2: will be the JEE- Main aggregate marks corresponding to percentile (P) among the set of aggregate scores obtained in the JEE- Main by the students of that board.
The normalized board score (Bfinal ) of the candidate is Bfinal = 0.5 * (B1 + B2)
- There are 13711 candidates for a particular board called ABCD.
- A candidate named x has obtained 60% in the boards of ABCD.
- There are around 6865 candidates below the candidate x.
- The percentile calculation for 60% of the Board marks = 100 x 6865 / 13711
Given Below is a table to understand the calculation of the Normalized score:
Board Percentage Bo
Candidates Below Bo
Percentile Calculation compared to Bo
Percentile Score (P)
100 x (317/1371)
100 X (575/13711)
100 X (774/13711)
100 X (1349/13711)
100 X (6627/13711)
100 X (6865/13711)
100 X (12203/13711)
100 X (12322/13711)
100 X (13274/13711)
100 X (13592/13711)
100 X (13651/13711)
Admissions to the centrally funded Institutes:
Admissions to the centrally funded institutes are based on a combined score of the JEE Main 2013 Marks (60%) and the Class XII Marks (40%).
Computation of the composite score (C) for drawing the merit list for centrally funded institutes:
C = 0.6 * AO + 0.4 * Bfinal
Click here for the notification