GATE 2013 Counselling Procedure

Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)

GATE 2013 Counselling Procedure

GATE 2013 Counselling Procedure:

The GATE scores will be announced on March 15, 2013. These scores are valid for a period of TWO Years.

Weightage for GATE scores:

Generally a minimum of 70% weightage is given to the performance in GATE. The remaining weightage (30% maximum) is given to the candidate's academic record or performance in interview. Candidate opting for a general paper (XE or XL) may be further examined (by interview/written test) by the admitting institution. In such cases also the weightage for performance in GATE should not be less than 70%. The admitting institution will prescribe minimum passing percentage of marks in the interview.


Merely qualifying in GATE doesnt not ensure a seat in the postgraduate programmes. All the universities and institutes (with the exemption of the IITs and IIScs) call upon eligible candidates for admissions to the various PG courses available via advertisements in the newspapers and their websites. Interested candidates are required to apply as per the procedure specified.

Exemption for GATE qualified:
Eligibility criteria for admissions generally include exemptions from the usual PG entrance examination for the GATE qualified candidates. A specific cut off GATE score is applicable as per the institute or university's admissions specifications in such a case. Almost all the universities, institutes of the country allow for such exemptions for GATE qualified candidates.

Start of Counselling Process:

This is usually after the entrance test which is usually held for students who have not attempted the GATE or have not qualified in GATE. All GATE qualified candidates have to attend the interview though before counselling process actually starts. Shortlisted candidates are required to attend the counselling leading to subsequent allotment of the seats.

Counselling Institute wise/ University wise:

The websites of the individual universities have to regularly be checked for the updates, application dates and subsequent counselling schedules.

  • Identify and improve on your weak areas
  • Get a personalized improvement plan & track your progress
  • Get a list of probable colleges based on current preparation level
  1. IITs: Each of the IITs invite for applications after the GATE scores are released somewhere around mid March. The application process goes on till mid April. Counselling starts in April itself and allotment of seats is done as per the counselling rounds.

    Note: The websites of the individual IITs have to be regularly checked for status updates

    IIT Indore: Admission notification

    IIT Bombay: Admission notification

    IIT Gandhinagar: Admisiion notification

    IIT Jodhpur: Admission notification

    IIT Kanpur: Admission notification

  2. NITS: The 20 NITs in recent times have come together for Centralized Counselling for M. Tech./M. Plan (CCMT) making the application process a smoother and simpler one. Applications are invited mid May onwards till June first week and counselling generally starts mid June and is generally over by July end.

  3. Guru Govind Singh Indrapasth University:  Application process starts from April till May. Counselling generally starts from mid June to July

  4. Thapar University: Application process starts from March mid till April mid. Counselling is generally in July.

  5. IIITs: The IIITs do not have a common counselling procedure. Candidates are required to apply individually to each of the institutes. Still the counselling process for them generally starts from April and lasts till June depending upon the application schedules of the individual institutes.

    IIIT Bangalore: Admission Notification

  6. Defence Institute of Advanced Technology (DIAT): Applications are from April till May. The counselling is in June with commencement of classes by mid July.

  7. Netaji Subhash Institute of Technology [NSIT], New Delhi:  Weightage for GATE is 80 % and the remaining 20% weightage is for the performance in the interview. Application process starts in March end till mid April. Counselling and admissions are after mid July.

  8. Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design & Manufacturing, Jabalpur:  For the intake of January 2013:

  • Application deadline: October 29, 2012

  • Last date of Submission of relevant documents along with demand draft: November 5, 2012

  • Announcement of short-listed candidates for written test/ interview: November 19, 2012

    9. IISc.s: For the various Post graduation programmes

    10. Aligarh Muslim University: 
Admission notification

    11. Symbiosis Institute of Technology Admisiion notification

    12. Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham: Admission notification

Click here for complete details

Announcement of Selected candidates on website


Last date to deposit fee by selected candidates


Announcement of II list of selected candidates From wait-listed candidates)


Last date to deposit fee by II list candidates


Registration/ Orientation


Commencement of Classes



List of Participating Institute
Manipal, Karnataka
Deemed University
09243777733, 0820-2922400, 0280-2571000
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Institute of National Importance
044-22578037, 044-22578038
Delhi, Delhi
Institute of National Importance
011 2659 7135
Mumbai, Maharashtra
Institute of National Importance
Kharagpur, West Bengal
Institute of National Importance
Post Comment
About Author
Prabha Dhavala

Related Articles

Suggested Reading: GATE Counselling for M-Tech

Free Sample Papers

Previous Next
  • GATE 2016 Question Papers
    GATE 2016 Question Papers
  • GATE Mining Engineering Question & Answer Key
    GATE Mining Engineering Question & Answer Key
  • GATE Metallurgical Engineering Question & Answer Key
    GATE Metallurgical Engineering Question & Answer Key
  • GATE Mechanical Engineering Question & Answer Key
    GATE Mechanical Engineering Question & Answer Key
  • GATE Electrical Engineering Question & Answer Key
    GATE Electrical Engineering Question & Answer Key
  • GATE Electrical and Communications Engineering Question & Answer Key
    GATE Electrical and Communications Engineering Question & Answer Key